Friday, October 1, 2010

A

I feel every teacher I had in my long boring years of school lacked a critical voice.  You did what they said, they did what they were told and everybody stayed happy.  I had two teachers in high school that asked frequently for opinions and different perspectives.  They were welcomed and analyzed for further discussion.  These classes were Psychology and English.  I respect these teachers, although they never voiced their opinions and views on certain problems.  I am a very opinionated person that will voice what I think during times it is not needed.  As I have got older I have controlled this impulse. Kind of....

From Silence to Dissent, By: Alan Canestrari and Bruce Marlowe,  allowed me to see exactly why teachers are the way they are.  The "Yes, but...." questions are all you ever hear.  Yes, but wouldn't I get in trouble? Yes, but that's not what authorities tell me to do. Yes, but I WANT to be a robot sheep.  It all sounds the same. You should ask why?!?! Why? Always.  Teachers can always be tactful about it, but asking why and getting a nicely explained answer will easily put your mind at rest.  Or it will make you mad. Either way, you will be able to see where someone stands on a issue.

Speaking in a Critical Voice, By: Marilyn Page was an AWESOME article.  This article made me feel more comfortable going into the teaching field.  Critical voices across America are not established, and I cannot wait to teach critical voice and opinion to the next generation.  Of course I will teach them other things, but critical voices made me excited.  I need to learn how to use my critical voice when necessary and important, not when it involves personal opinions that disregard my job and the education on my students.

I enjoyed reading both of these articles and would recommend them to everyone, teacher, parent, or plumber.  I found these to be inspiring and I feel most everyone would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment