Friday, December 10, 2010

Social Studies Reflection

Social Studies, to me, is the only interesting subject in school.  I am including college.  The study of human beings is the most interesting, beneficial, and impacting subject left.  To think that elementary schools are putting this important subject to the side, makes me sick.  Social Studies gives some people an idea of life by studying others lives.

I feel as a future educator, I have the ability to condemn or help prosper the minds and logic of our future society.  I can stick to fairy tales and brainwashing tactics of stupidity, or I can teach both sides of every story.  I feel by teaching both sides I can keep myself from getting in trouble.  This way the students are unawarely developing their critical voice as they grow and gain insightful knowledge by their own research through out my class and their life.

I think every aspect of Social Studies is extremely important.  Maps, history, cultures, knowledge of the world and people in general.  Social Studies is taught, mostly, from facts and stories alone.  There are no theories in Social Studies, only stories of people and how we "came" to be who we are and so forth.  This class has opened my eyes to a plausible way of teaching students I have always felt I could make a difference.  Reconstructing society one step at a time.

1 comment: